Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Art and Heart of a Reenactor

I started reenacting this year, and I have to admit, it is a lot of fun! People are amazed and fascinated by reenactors in Civil War uniforms and antebellum dresses, and love to hear about history. Contrary to what the press is saying, most people are not offended by the Confederate flag or the presence of Civil War reenactors in parades, at memorial services, etc.

To be a reenactor takes an enormous amount of dedication, perseverance, and knowledge about historical accuracy. Wool uniforms can sometimes be uncomfortable, and hooped skirts can become daunting and cumbersome. But to participate in a reenactment is nothing less than awesome!

There are several ways to learn about reenacting, such as websites (my favorite is www.reenactmenthq.com), lists of events that are published monthly in the Civil War Courier, and local events. Reenactments take place all over the country, not just in the South, as depicted in movies like "Sweet Home Alabama." I strongly recommend that if you are interested and have the opportunity, take advantage of participating. I guarantee you'll be hooked!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very true. I have been reenacting since 1994. I love the experiences and the people. It is the only hobby I know of where people come from all walks of life - and consider all as equals and family. There are MANY websites with information and schedules. Our own website has links to other units/organizations and also to the sutler/vendors we get our stuff from.
http://www.georgiasharpshooters.org