Tuesday, May 12, 2009

One Thing Leads to Another

My husband, Dave, and I attended a meeting of the DeSoto County Genealogical Society last weekend. It’s amazing how one thing can lead to another. In my case, I became interested in the Civil War after taking a trip to Gettysburg, where I saw the enormous battlefield. Never encountering one before, I was awestruck, and it inspired me to write my novel. After conducting my research, I convinced Dave to travel to Virginia, and once he had seen places such as Antietam, Bull Run, and Brandy Station, he was bitten by the Civil War bug as well.

Once you are bitten, the intrigue just keeps on building, and you find out coincidences that you never knew existed. I discovered that at the Battle of Chancellorsville, a farmstead known as the Hawkins farm played a significant role. Dave became curious, and started investigating his own genealogy. From there, he discovered that, on his mother’s side, his great-great grandfather served in the Confederate cavalry. More specifically, he was an interpreter for the Cherokee Indians. Because of my book, he learned of his heritage, and thus joined the Sons of Confederate Veterans. It’s funny how one thing leads to another.

No comments: