Thursday, July 30, 2009

I Guess Being a Civil War Buff Does Pay Off

Last night (or should I say this morning) I was up until 2 a.m. helping my 20-year-old son study for his history final. Lucky for me, if was about the Civil War, the one piece of American history that I actually have an interest in. To make a long story short, I quizzed him, and gave him memorization ideas, as well as little anecdotes, to help him remember, and it paid off. He called me after his test to inform me that he had aced it!

I know not everyone has the privilege of being taught by experts, be they novelists, historians, scientists, what have you. It's funny how my fascination about the Civil War has spread to other people. My husband didn't have the slightest interest until I dragged him into it. Now he's a member of the SCV, attends reenactments, and loves delving into round table discussions. Hopefully, my passion will filter down to my kids, as I believe it has, enough to inspire them to follow their dreams and never give up.

No comments: