Friday, August 7, 2009

Owner of a Broken Heart

It's hard to imagine what it must be like to have to give up your child. My son, who just left for school, was here for two months, and we had a great time. It doesn't seem like summer should end this soon! Now our big house is really empty without him. Knowing he'll be back at Christmas is a consolation, but it's still pretty lonely around here.

I can't possibly fathom what it must feel like to watch a child go off to war, knowing he might never return. Or seeing his name listed amongst the casualties in the local newspaper. And sometimes, the mystery of what happened to him is never resolved.

To all the parents that have had to deal with that heartache and loss, I salute you. My heart is breaking just giving my kid back to college. I guess I'm blessed in that respect.

No comments: