Thursday, November 12, 2009

Hemingway and Me

I am currently participating in a writing class, and my instructor asked us what our writing habits are. She informed that when Hemingway wrote, he would always find a definite place to stop, so that when he resumed his writing, he could pick up again where he left off more easily. I thought, hey, I do that, too! Us writers are strange creatures of habit. We have unusual routines that vary from person to person. I recently saw Diablo Cody give an interview, and she said that she usually stays up until 3 a.m. I got that beat, sister! I've been known to stay up until 4 a.m. In fact, on several occasions, I was just going to bed when my husband (who is an early bird) was getting up!

Some writers are able to get up in the morning, go straight to their computer, and start writing. Not me. I have to get the blood circulating into my brain for several hours before I can become coherent behind the keyboard. Some writers can sit behind the computer for six to eight hours a day and write, but I can't. I have to take breaks, and lots of them, otherwise, I lose focus. So what are some of your writing habits? Write back and let me know!

No comments: