Monday, November 23, 2009

KKK Expelled From Ole Miss

Last Saturday, the Ku Klux Klan showed up on the University of Mississippi campus to protest the chancellor's decision for the band to stop playing "From Dixie With Love" after each football game. Apparently, there was some concern about the students chanting, "The South will rise again!" after the song. Personally, I don't see how that is a racial slur, but the students have complied.

The KKK made a stand by appearing at the University prior to the game on Saturday. However, the students were so upset by their presence that they verbally insulted them until the KKK left. I say Kudos to those students! I am NOT a fan of racial injustice, and I think it's great that the student body represents equality. It has come a long way over the past forty years.

My only regret is that the KKK is representing itself with the Confederate flag and the song "Dixie." In my opinion, I wish they'd get their own flag and song and leave the rest alone. I saw a bumper sticker with a picture of the Confederate flag on it that I think says it all: Heritage, Not Hatred. The flag has been misconstrued to represent the KKK, and that's a shame. The Sons of Confederate Veterans are in no way associated with the KKK, and yet, they must endure criticism for their honoring the flag of their forefathers. Sad but true. I always liked the song "Dixie." I only hope it doesn't come to being associated with white supremacy as well.

No comments: